Friday, August 7, 2015

Project: Dividends Stocks for Teenager Part 2

I wrote here about my Dividends Stocks project for my teenager daughter. 

Our update

We discussed list of stocks I picked for her. I promised that if by the time she will need this money for college her portfolio still will be lagging I will give her my money instead. So she feels pretty safe about investing now. 

She got more interested about stock investing after I explained her how her stocks can earn dividends just because she owns them. She likes an idea of getting money without working. Now she is talking how she is going to save more and invest more. 

Here is the list of stocks she picked from my list:

symbolnamecurrent price1 year targetdividend yield
SESpectra Energy$29.69$36.305.00%
XOMExxon$77.77$90.533.70%
PGThe Procter & Gamble Company$75.57$85.503.30%
JNJJohnson & Johnson$98.38$109.593.00%
TATT$34.18$37.175.50%
LHOLaSalle Hotel properties$32.06$39.505.30%
EMREmerson Electric$49.58$59.523.70%

We opened a regular brokerage account and today I am going to show her how to buy stocks. 

Thank you for reading, please share your thoughts and I will keep you updated on this project. 

10 comments:

  1. HHWG - simply love this project! I recently tried to bring my younger sisters (8 and 12 years younger than me) on board with investing (hoping for Dividend investing!) and am excited to see you bringing another young mind online! Good luck with the project and many happy dividends to your daughter!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy, thanks for stopping by and for your wishes. I will keep posting updates on our project. Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  2. I like that you're teaching your daughter how to invest at an early age. Though XOM isn't doing too well right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for sharing your thoughts. She picked XOM and we might sell it eventually.

      Delete
  3. Great list, although I would talk her out of XOM as well. It's too risky for such a short term.

    Keep us posted!
    Best wishes, DfS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi DfS! thanks for stopping by! If XOM didn't recover in next two years we will just keep it a little longer. I will keep posting updates. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that you're taking the time to teach your daughter about investing. She'll have an extra 5-10 years of compounding ahead of most of her peers and by the sound of it she'll be an avid saver/investor. Great job! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is not being a very happy learner about stocks but hopefully one day...

      Delete
  6. Very cool idea! I hope to have kids one day and introduce a similar project to them!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Scott, thanks for stopping by! If I have more kids I will start their portfolios from day 1! :)

      Delete